Sunday, October 9, 2011

Northeastern Fall, Southern Sentimentality

So my next blog post has existed as an eminent task in the back of my mind over the past week.  I'm not sure exactly quite why I have been avoiding it, but possibly because I have so many things to share I haven't been able to sit down and formulate them into organized words.  And now of course I have waited and even more has happened and thus I am overloaded with blog ideas!  So, one thing at a time - good philosophy.  I'm not very good at following this myself. I am a big fan of lists, to do lists.  But these lists aren't very effective when you have 5 different lists in 5 different places and 0 accountability.  I'm working on a solution to this though.  I'm starting to experiment with Task lists in Microsoft outlook and Evernote.  We'll see which one works out.  Centralization is key. If anyone has any recommendations, currently seeking any and all!

So, tonight I decided to finally sit down and write.  I know that I won't really get the opportunity to much over the next couple of weeks because I will be traveling and receiving travelers and celebrating holidays and let's face it I have no problem with having no time to WRITE about life because I'm out EXPERIENCING life.  That and I am recently fueled by some drink experimentation with a friend for an upcoming party involving the espresso drink, Cold Roman, I mentioned in this post Farmers Marketeering.

Over the past week I've been lucky enough to experience two of the best weekends I have had all year, in both Arkansas and Connecticut.  Fall is my favorite time of year.  This weather we have had lately (in both Arkansas and Connecticut) is warm and fresh and bright and generally inspires everyone to get out and play.  Kind of like getting some last hoorahs out before the doom and gloom of turning the clocks back and the heaters up.  This is my first fall up here and I have heard good things about fall in the Northeast.  I hope to explore the foliage filled areas more in November.  The leaves are just starting to change and the pumpkins and seasonal Pumpkin Ales are bountiful.  Everyone has a sport to follow, even those not interested in sports can get some fun out of all that this time of year has to offer in sports entertainment. This weekend I introduced two of my Connecticut friends to the culture of Arkansas football.  They met me out at the Arkansas Alumni NYC chapter sponsored sports bar Saturday night for the game versus Auburn. They loved it!  It was great to feel like I was welcoming some outsiders into my "home", even though it was in New York.  And it was especially warming to me to be around some Arkansans after I was just home last weekend.

So, if you can't tell already, I'm pretty sentimental.  Fall brings it out in me and maybe it's my southern roots coming out to shine, but I can't help it.  This weekend, after a good dose of farmers market, hot yoga and beautiful northern CT driving I could have burst at the seams!  Although, this morning I woke a little bewildered after my night in the city last night.  I quickly recovered though and did something I've been meaning to do all Summer.  I typically like to do a long bike ride on the weekend, but with my muscles sore from Hot Yoga and too many Pumpkin Ales still in my system I decided to take a more leisurely option.  Rosalita and I cruised on out to Doc's Cafe, about 5 miles east, to enjoy some quiet time.  I liked the place.  They have a lot of tasty options for breakfast and morning drinks.  It's also a popular cyclist stop, which is how I found out about the place.  I think about half of the customers that stopped by while I was sitting there were wearing the tell tale tights.
I need to go back and figure out what the connection to Texas is..

More charming than cozy, unique atmosphere

My breakfast selection.  Apricot Blueberry coffee cake and PB + Banana..yes I just got the banana because I was craving peanut butter..
That might have been my last chance to ride for the rest of the season (I hope not) but I might be perfectly okay with that.  Cycling doesn't always have to be about racking up the mileage.

Cook's Corner
Life has been pretty hectic lately.  And it's only going to get worse.  Needless to say, convenience has been key as of late.  I haven't had much time to try anything new in the kitchen but I've been surprised at what I can whip up on the spot now.  My tip to all if you are busy, keep frozen veggies or meat in stock at all times.  The below dish I whipped up in <30 minutes.  I call it Indian Quinoa Scramble! no eggs were involved though..
1/4 cup Quinoa
Frozen Spinach
1 Chopped Carrot
Frozen Corn
Garam Masala
Curry
Tumeric
1/4 Cup TVP
If I would have had more time I'm sure I could have made things a little more shnazzy - but this worked and it was very tasty.
Saute the veggies in magical saute pan, add spices

Add cooked/spiced quinoa

Scramble
Dine!
Peace Love and Fall to you all!
<3

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you get Schlafly's Pumpkin out there, but it's yummy. Grab some if you find it. I'll be seeing you tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete