Thursday, March 10, 2011

Adaptations

I can't believe it's already March.  I feel like I've lost all gauge on time.  Just the other day I was noticing just how much I had adapted to the cold wintery weather.  When I first got here it was layer upon layer of warming devices.  I had wool tights under wool socks under work pants and later under boots when I finally got some..I've gone from two layers of coats to one and wool everywhere to just the trusty wool gloves.  But then another part of me realized...wait..it's MARCH..I am not normally this cold in March!  So while I have adapted (partly due to getting used to it and I think partly due to mentally preparing for a colder winter) I forget just how long Winter is up here.  So while normally I would have been crying and whining about cold (Susan would know) a month ago..time has slipped away and I'm just now realizing that I'm behind (Fayetteville and your 60 degrees).  The list keeps building for the many things I want to explore..when it gets warmer..how many times I've said that phrase and often heard the phrase "this place is much better in the Summer".  So I'll just wait in my adaptive state of "tolerant" for the brighter days where I can explore by bike, sun on the beach, kayak, hike, explore vineyards, sit on decks overlooking the sound and generally just be able to go out and play. 
Which really brings me to a subject I really haven't thought about enough but really need to share.  What life is like up here.  I've been very caught up in just going with it, sometimes I often forget to sit back and realize that this really is a new life.  Well let's just say that probably 75% of my time is spent at work.  It took me about a week to realize that I was one of the few who actually partake in the 8-5 schedule.  Most people generally roll in between 8:30 and 9:30.  Granted a lot of people have to take trains or commutes in from the city or New Jersey or somewhere else that entails battling crappy traffic..but regardless..people just don't work the standard amount of time.  And when 5 o clock rolls around..you don't really see a whole herd of people running for the door either.  Now I've actually made an effort to actually show up to work late..but it looks like 8 o clock is engrained in my system..
At first when I got here I thought people were pretty aggresive..every man for himself, you've got to get what you want any way you can.  And granted I did have a little trouble at first because I noticed a lot of people don't smile at you when you are walking by..and I actually felt creepy for doing it a few times.  Now after a while it is not so much like that..but I can defintely say one thing: my driving habits have changed in accordance with this..I can only imagine my sisters reaction to riding with me now after how bad she thought I was before!  Also, don't dare crossing a road until you are damn sure that the coast is clear.  Yeild to padestrians..I laugh..what yeild?
Not to mention a whole sleuth of new words.  Skeevy (I define as a mix between sketchy and creepy), What's Good? (Instead of What's up, What's happening)  Snark (Learned today from my felow Northeastern migrator Lisa)..a sarcastic biting comment.  Or "Shit Show"...a crazy party.  Those are really just a few..but it's kind of funny the differences.  Aparently the only thing I do weird is say "pin" instead of 'pen" and lack a southern accent.  No one believe I actually grew up in Arkansas.
Overall life here is pretty wintery and it has been great to be able to take advantage of public transportation to explore the city.  There are definitely a lot of little cute coastal towns that need further exploration (including my own) and lots of activities await.  Can't wait to share them with you all..I know this was just a quick tidbit of stuff I will continue to explore in different posts.  I think it is important to become aware of your surroundings and as of this far it has really felt like a whirlwind.  I do miss the folks back home and wish I were better at telephoning..but if you are reading this know that I miss you dearly and hope to be able to visit soon.  But you should really visit me too ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment