Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Inspiration

What inspires you?

I'm not sure we get asked this enough.  I think we get asked about goals and accomplishments and personal development..but really if we're to motivate ourselves towards any of these things we really have to ask ourselves...what inspires you?

Inspiration as defined by Google: the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative. 

That's a pretty un-inspiring definition..but I guess it very simply conveys the point.  For if we are "mentally stimulated" then we should be able to reach levels of high performance, a sense of purpose and accomplishment, right?

I think we live our lives mostly just wanting to support ourselves, our family and at the end of the day hopefully leave a lasting impression on those around us in life.  We're all just trying to be happy and healthy at the end of the day.  At least I know when I speak for myself this is generally true.  I live to work hard, eat well and go outside and play.  I work hard because it's what I was taught to do. I eat well because it makes me feel good and I go outside and play because it fulfills me.

But inspiration...that's different..that's what gets you going..that's what makes you work hard. That's what makes you focus..that's what ideally should fuel decisions and actions every day.

So what inspires me?

The truth of the matter is, I haven't thought about this much before.  But I think it could be: I'm inspired by the unknown.  Now this is also what terrifies me (and probably most people) but let me elaborate...  I'm inspired every day by knowing that there are challenges out there I haven't met, that there are people out there I haven't learned from yet, that there are opportunities to achieve accomplishments I didn't even think were possible and that impact more than just myself.  I love a challenge, because I am addicted to the drug of accomplishment.  I like bringing a smile to the faces of others who also cherish in this.  I like celebrating it with them.  I really like all of this.

The only question left now is...what challenges are worth accepting?

Thanks for indulging in some winter time dialogue in place of riding season...here's to a speedy return of spring (despite what the groundhog says)

No comments:

Post a Comment